The campbed is one of the Museum’s star items and has been part of the collection since the 1950s.
The campbed was used by Lieutenant J Malcolm of 42nd Regiment during Peninsular and Waterloo Campaigns, 1812-15. It was also used by his grandson Brigadier General H.H.L Malcolm, with the 42nd and 79th in the Egyptian Campaign, 1882-84.
The bed is attached to a wooden box, which it folds in to for storage.
The campbed was restored in 2008 by Tuula Pardoe and Will Murray at the Scottish Conservation Studio. Tuula worked on conserving the fabric of the campbed, while Will conserved the metal frame and wooden box. The image below right is the campbed before conservation began. The image above left is the camped after work was complete.
Prior to conservation work in 2008, the campbed had been on open display in the Napoleonic gallery. Since the campbed was returned to the Museum following the completion of conservation work, the campbed has been in storage. It will be re-displayed following the redevelopment of the Museum, due to reopen in 2013.