These three powder horns date from the eighteenth century. They were used during the North American campaigns by members of the Regiment.
Each soldier was issued with a powder horn. It would have contained black powder used for charging his musket.
This carved powder horn illustrates a map of North America. The map covers a large area, including the Delware River, Philadelphia, New York, Boston and Halifax. The horn is inscribed to Captain A McBean.
This carved powder horn illustrates a map of North America with battle scenes from the American Wars of Independence. The carvings include groups of figures, possibly groups of Native Americans and local colonials. There is no name in the framed label, only a sheaf of corn and a sickle.
This carved powder horn is inscribed to Hector MacDonald (1758-63). The carvings are Masonic symbols. These include St Andrew and the cross, which are part of The Black Watch Lodge symbols